IEC TR 61292-3:2020 which is a Technical Report, establishes the classification of optical amplifiers (OAs). It also includes a brief description of each amplifier, its general properties, performance, configurations, and applications. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2003. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Document architecture now focuses on EDFA, FRA, and SOA;
- The description of PDFA and TDFA has been moved to the annexes;
- The EDWA description has been deleted;
- Information on single-channel amplification, multi-channel amplification, configuration, and control method for EDFA, FRA and SOA has been added;
- Information on future amplifiers, arrayed amplifiers, and SDM amplifiers has been added.